Thursday, August 10, 2006

From the Manager

What is it, three, four weeks? Yeah, I haven’t been playing music. But I’m sure you’re all fine with your iTunes or LimeWire. Or even cheap MP3 compilation CDs. What, like I don't know why you bought a 2 giga iPod?

I don’t owe you explanation, yes? But I feel like telling what I’ve been doing, besides pretending to understand economics. I’ve wandering around. To see other people’s cafes. Hanging out at an adorable competitor, Café Hayek, stopping by at a new café, Kedai Kebebasan, and listening people talk on modern politics at TPM Café. Or just to test the brain endurance at the Philosophy Café.

Of course I went shopping, too. I just bought a set of Acoustic Wave for the Café. Love the sound it delivers. And some books to keep you staying: Umberto Eco, Milan Kundera, Astrid Lindgren, and J.D. Salinger (they’re used books – since some of you are kleptos; hey, who took my thesaurus? I'm trying to show off, here, please!). I’ll put them on a new bookcase next to the old gamelan. No, I’m not gonna install a flat screen – you can borrow my Hicthcock collection, but go see movies somewhere else. As for games, I have bought three sets of scrabble. No chess or checkers – too trivial and boring.

Sounds like we’re gonna have more fun. Come, come. (No, we don’t have skin tax like them!)

Did I mention music?

Now I’m thinking Enya. Oh, she’s so relaxing. I’m carried away by her mystical soft mantras. It feels good. Especially after an aggression from a lesbian guy across the street.

Update: Shoot! I've linked too much to Wikipedia. Apparently, it ain't good.

5 comments:

  1. ho ho... you go girl!
    hey, where have you been? don't hang around too much in other people's ppl cafe. we should definitely do some serious girly chat. like for instance why rizal admiting that he blogs to get woman attention. or why since AP in jakarta, he seems to lose himself in tanah abang... and other stuffs too...
    don't mind the lesbian guy... he just fell with another gay girl, i think. now he has to redefine himself. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. astrid lindgren is that pippi longstock girl right?

    years and years after i read it, she is still the best argument for girls with freckles.

    i don't even realize i still remember her until you mention it. Do you still have a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Treespotter it's Pippi! I love her! She was my role model. Oh, those good old teenage days. I remember, when my friends were reading Famous Five, I preferred Pippi and Fantomette. When they read Mallory Towers, I bought Hardy Boys. When they chatted about Hercule Poirot I was still collecting Asterix comics.

    But it's always Pippi I miss.

    Wait, you're asking if I had a copy? I'm sorry, that's the only one left I'm donating to the Café... I'll let you know if friends from my teenhood care to finally return my other Pippis...

    ReplyDelete
  4. enya, i love her old albums -Shepherd Moon, The Celts and Watermarks. is Amarantine any good?

    lesbian guy? that term sounds familiar. any refference to The L-Word? bloody wicked series, i must say. guys would love the girl-on-girl scene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't read hardy boys.

    you know, in different light, Hardy Boys sounds a bit kinky, don't u think? bet they're hard...

    i'm gona get new Pippi book. i remember reading Sophie's World, and for some reason, reminds me of Pippi. Oh... freckles never seem so sexy.

    ReplyDelete